Pages

Thursday 1 March 2012

"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it"

For those of you who weren’t already aware, today (1st March) is World Book Day. As I am a bit of a reading fanatic (I love nothing more than snuggling up in bed with a good book and being transported to another world- whether it is London in the 1800s or some foreign land) I thought I would share with you some of my book like/dislikes along with some of my thoughts on books I am reading or have read
Current book I am reading:
The book I am currently reading is One Day by David Nicholls. I really wanted to see the film after I saw it advertised and a friend recommended reading the book. I have yet to see the film as I like to read the book first. I enjoy using my imagination to create the characters rather than be given someone else’s creation and trying to make them fit the character (I up to this day still think Emma Watson was not my Hermione in Harry Potter) I’m about halfway through the book now and so far am thoroughly impressed. I’ve struggled to put it down and find myself nearly missing my bus stop and staying up till the early hours reading it. I’d definitely recommend you reading it if you haven’t already.
The book I have just finished reading

The book I’ve just finished reading is Belle by Lesley Pearce. I’d never heard of this author before reading the book but I now really want to read more of her books and I have a few others on my shelf ready to read. Briefly the story is about Belle, a brothel owner’s daughter, witnessing the murder of one of the girls and being kidnapped in the process. It follows the story of what happens to Belle after her kidnapping.  I thoroughly enjoyed the book and found it easy to relate to all the characters from the poor victim Belle to the torn Etienne. I don’t want to give too much away but all I would say is it is definitely worth a read.
My Favourite Children’s book

From a young age I’ve loved to read and one of my favourite childhood authors is Roald Dahl. Therefore I think my favourite childhood book was either Matilda or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I cannot pick between the two... I’ve tried many times. I love the way Roald Dahl writes, he uses some of the craziest ideas but makes them relatable. I think his style of writing helps to create a fanatical world that you want to be in (I know I wanted to go to Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory and try some of his treats).
My favourite book

Another difficult choice for me and I did think long and hard for this one. I think one of my favourite books is the Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I must admit this was one film I saw before the book, only because I didn’t want to wait to have read the book to see the film however I do believe that the book is better than the film. Although it can at first seem disjointed and confusing as it jumps from time, I thoroughly enjoyed the read. I found the characters of Clare and Henry really relatable and could easily empathise with them both. Definitely a worthy read.
The Book I feel is overhyped

One book I feel is overhyped is The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I know most people go on about how amazing the book is and that it is one of the best books they’ve ever read, but I personally found the book overhyped. I found I couldn’t get into the book at all. Even after numerous attempts it wasn’t a book that I couldn’t put down and in fact at times I was reluctant to pick up. This probably explains why I gave up reading it halfway through in favour of something else.
My favourite autobiography

I think my favourite autobiography is Russell Brand’s My Booky Wook. I did read this book quite a while ago however I haven’t yet to find an autobiography that I found as funny but also wanted to read more of (saying that I have heard great things about James Corden’s book and really want to read that when I have a chance). I think Russell’s book will appeal more to people who do find his humour funny as I know a few people who read it and didn’t like the book as much as I did.
 What are your favourite books? I'd love some more reccomendations of books to add to my reading lists

No comments:

Post a Comment